Frequently Asked Questions

Applying for rental housing

If you are applying for subsidized housing, you must apply through the Region of Waterloo Community Housing Access Centre. The following is the access site location in Cambridge:

Community Housing Access Centre (CHAC)
Region of Waterloo
150 Main Street
Cambridge, Ontario N1R 8H6
T: 519-575-4833 F: 519-740-5957
TTY: 519-575-4605

The application may be downloaded at: Region of Waterloo – Apply for Community House Website. Completed applications must be forwarded to the location listed above.

You can pick up a copy of the Housing Cambridge application form at our offices at 780 King Street East, Cambridge or you can download a pdf copy of our application form by
clicking here.

Completed applications must be submitted to our offices. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us by email or telephone us at (519) 650-5599 x221. Please note that this application is not to be used to apply for subsidized apartments and town homes.

Unfortunately no, we cannot accommodate this. Since the waiting list can change daily, we do not provide updates regarding an applicants position on the list. When your name gets close to the top of the list we will contact you at that time.

Housing Cambridge forms & resources

Paying my rent

Yes, this is a convenient method but cheques must be dated for the 1st of the month for the full amount of your monthly rent. Make cheques payable to Cambridge Non-Profit Housing Corporation.

Yes, our office accepts INTERAC debit payments. Check the daily maximum of your card as some banks place limits on daily withdrawals.

No. Unfortunately we are not able to provide these options at this time.

Yes and do this right away! Usually, any tenant who doesn’t pay rent when it is due will receive an ‘N4′ Notice to End a Tenancy Early for Non-Payment of Rent. If, due to reasons that are beyond your control, you are unable to pay your rent on the 1st of the month, contact your Property Manager immediately. We understand the problems of living on a limited budget, so we are ready to help you sort it out.

Yes, frequent late payment of rent is grounds for termination of your tenancy. Rent is due on the 1st of every month.

You have two choices:

1) Pay the balance of rent owing by the date indicated on the Notice; or
2) Vacate the premises. Tenants are strongly encouraged to contact their Property Manager to discuss their options.

Housing Cambridge will begin the process of opening an Application with the Landlord & Tenant Board to terminate your tenancy. Housing Cambridge must pay the Board $170 to open this application; this amount will be charged to your account. You will be notified, by mail, of the opening of this Application. If you wish to dispute the amount of money owing , you must file a written dispute with the Landlord & Tenant Board within 10 days of the postmarked date. If no dispute is filed, Housing Cambridge will receive an Order of Termination that can be filed with the Sheriff’s Office for an eviction.

Housing operations

In your lease agreement it states that painting or wallpapering using your own colours requires the written permission of the Landlord. Your unit must be restored to original move-in condition prior to you vacating the premises.

In your lease agreement it says alterations of any kind require the written permission of Housing Cambridge. Alterations must be restored to original move-in condition prior to you vacating the premises. Some examples of alterations are installing a fence, painting, finishing a basement and the installation of new flooring or carpet.

Installing a satellite dish or antenna requires the written permission of Housing Cambridge. The exterior of units must be restored to original move-in condition prior to you vacating your unit.

Housing Cambridge does not paint units of existing residents. Residents may request approval to decorate their own units.

Depending on budgetary constraints, Housing Cambridge may be willing to supply paint to tenants who are willing to paint their own units under the following conditions:

- you have moved into a unit that is in “as is” condition, or
- it has been more than seven years since your unit was last painted, and
- you agree to use our standard paint colours.

If we agree to supply the paint, our Maintenance Worker must inspect the unit once walls have been prepared for painting. The Maintenance Worker must inspect the unit a second time once the unit has been painted to ensure the work is of a good quality.

Carpet is not normally replaced in units of existing residents. However, if your carpet is older and you are willing to be responsible for the labour portion of the installation, you may apply in writing to have the carpet replaced. Your carpets’ state will be assessed by our maintenance staff. If approved, carpets will be replaced with our standard flooring products. Decisions on flooring replacement will be made based on a case-by-case basis.

Yes you can, however, you must store the Housing Cambridge appliances within your unit as we do not have the ability to do so. Written approval for the addition of other appliances is required.

You must telephone the Maintenance Coordinator at (519) 650-5599 x230 and they will advise you. Staff cannot complete repairs based on a verbal request, except in an emergency situation.

Housing Cambridge has an on-call service that you can reach any time during non-business hours by calling (519) 650-4759. You should only call this number in the case of a maintenance emergency.

Residents may park in designated parking spaces only. Residents may not park their vehicles in visitor’s parking spaces. If you have a second vehicle you may apply for a designated parking space. Additional parking spaces are provided on an “as available” basis for a small monthly charge. Parking is not permitted at any time in the signed Fire Route lanes/areas.

Yes you can. Housing Cambridge provides guidelines for residents with pets. All residents receive a copy of the guidelines at lease signing.

If your quiet enjoyment of the complex is disturbed, particularly in the late evening or early morning hours, you should call City of Cambridge Bylaw Enforcement. The next day you should advise your Property Manager of the incident and provide a written account. In this way, Housing Cambridge can take the appropriate action as afforded under the Residential Tenancies Act.

Staff cannot accept payments of any kind from residents. It is the responsibility of each resident to forward their rent, water heater rental fee, parking fee, etc. to the Housing Cambridge Head Office.

With the exception of non-duplicating security keys, copies of other keys (i.e. mail keys) can be made from the keys other members of the household have. If there are no other sets of keys in the household, then a resident must contact the Housing Cambridge office. If the office has spare keys on hand, then they will be given to the resident for the purpose of the resident making another set for themselves. The spare keys must be returned to the office within 24 hours or the resident will be charged for the key. If there are no spares on hand, then the resident will be responsible for the locks in question being rekeyed. Housing Cambridge will call in an approved locksmith to complete the task and the costs will be invoiced to the resident.

The replacement of a non-duplicating security key costs $10.00. These keys allow access into units and apartment buildings. Resident must pay the replacement fee at the Housing Cambridge office for a replacement key to be issued.

Per the Residential Tenancies Act a resident may not alter the locks on a unit without the written consent of the Landlord. Residents wishing to have their locks changed must notify the Maintenance Coordinator. Arrangements for the lock change must be coordinated through the Housing Cambridge office as unit locks must be keyed to the master key. The costs for such a change are the responsibility of the resident.

Under the Residential Tenancies Act you are required to provide us with at least 60 days written notice that you intend to move out.